Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Piece of My Heart




I stared at the TV screen that was giving the most recent death count in Haiti and overall devastation from the states perspective and I realized that for once I didn’t have to imagine the pain that was happening; all I had to do was take a few steps outside the doors to see the impact for myself. I saw it in the faces of the people I have fallen in love with, it screamed at me from the little child, the grandmother, the family of 8 shifting through boards that once resembled a home. It told me their story of pain and frustration of being defenseless against the element of high wind, harsh rains and the terror as it devastated all in it path. It now screamed at me through there needs, of starvation in trying to find a meal to keep alive through what once resembled their lives, a life that before the hurricane was already marked with hardship. This was my family and my heart broke in the midst of their pain. A pain caused by the hurricanes in the past and for the knowledge that more was coming. I see there faces and it is clear that beside passing out food and supllies as a mission, I personally needed to let my family and friends in the states know my heart as well. So, thank you for just letting you come to you with a piece of my heart and HAPPY DANCE.

No comments: